Search engine optimization, commonly known as SEO, does not have to be overly complex and intimidating for the average business person or communications professional. So says Katie Evans, who offered a handful of basic tips in the January/February issue of Marketing, a Seattle-area trade publication.
Evans says that rising in the search engines is doable for anyone who follows these simple steps:
1. Identify the keywords and phrases that bring customers, clients and readers to your website or blog.
2. Use the keywords and phrases at your site–in copy, titles, behind photos and in the meta-tag section.
3. Start a YouTube account and post videos. (They don’t have to be perfect.)
4. Write at your blog every day, even if just a few sentences or paragraphs. (Alas, I don’t post here on a daily basis, but I do follow this advice at my golf blog.)
5. Write articles for http://www.ezinearticles.com. (This can be a good strategy. Also consider guest posts at other blogs.)
As Evans says in her closing, “You don’t need a ton of money to succeed on the web; just a little time and knowledge. See you on Page 1 of Google.”